Monday, January 13, 2014

Simple Strategies- Just Start Stacking!

Hello, and happy Monday, everyone! Melissa here with a Simple Strategies post to get your week off to a good start.

story time.jpg

When I started the layout above, I actually didn't have a clear idea of where I wanted to go with it or even what photos I wanted to use. I did have a vague idea that I wanted to stack up lots of embellishments from the Printshop vellum die cut pack in January's Main Kit, so I decided to start with that and see where things went.

DSC_0871.jpg

I used the colors in the scalloped paper (also in the Main Kit) as inspiration for the pieces I chose to layer, and I also decided at this point to pull in some of the Chic Tags paper clips that matched. I arranged the elements in a loose line down the center of the page, not really in any order- just stacking and playing until I was happy with the look.

DSC_0873.jpg

I decided to try out the exclusive butterfly next, thinking that it would be a great way to tie all of the pieces together. I also added a few of the exclusive wood veneer clouds from this month's kit.

DSC_0876.jpg

Remember that up to this point I had just been playing with the layout and simply piling things on- no pressure, just creative fun! Once I got it to a point where I really liked the look, I started to stick everything down.

DSC_0877.jpg

First I cut out the middle section of the scalloped paper so I'd have some pieces left for other layouts, then I layered an 11.5x11.5 in the middle and stitched around the edges.

DSC_0878.jpg

I had one more idea I wanted to try before putting everything together- arranging the die cuts in the same color order as the background paper. I loved the orderly look this gave to everything!

DSC_0880.jpg

I keep lots of photos printed and ready to scrap, so it only took a few minutes to flip through them and find two to use that worked with the colors and theme that I already had going with this page.

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

All that was left after that was to add a title and some journaling!

story time.jpg

DSC_5918.jpg

DSC_5917.jpg

DSC_5916.jpg

Not every layout has to start with photos and journaling. Sometimes if you're stuck for a place to start, begin with the embellishments and paper that most inspire you and simply play with layering them up and arranging them on a page. It might be just the creative kick start that you need!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout Melissa! Can't wait to get my kit and play along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved seeing your process. The result is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete